There is a lot you can do to prevent depression. As you learn to know yourself better you will become better at spotting danger signals and be able to act in time.
You can do something
- Exercise regularly
- Make sure you get enough sleep at night, ideally 7 to 8 hours
- Eat a healthy and varied diet
- Spend time with family and friends who can give you support and care
- Seek out and hold on to social relationships and free time activities/hobbies that make you happy
Relaxation exercises can help give physical and mental calm, for example, before going to bed, or if you need to find peace.
- Lie comfortably in bed with a pillow supporting your neck.
- Close your eyes and begin to breathe deeply right down to your stomach. Notice how you relax more and more with each breath.
- Clench your fists and tense your arms as much as possible for around 15 to 20 seconds. Slowly release the tension form your muscles and relax completely for 15 to 20 seconds. Repeat this exercise 3 times and then continue with your shoulders and back muscles and finally, calf and thigh muscles. Continue breathing deeply during the relaxation intervals.
- Now imagine you are lying on a soft bed of sand that you sink deeper and deeper into. Start with your feet, then your lower legs and so on until your entire body feels that it has sunk into the sand.
- Finally, think about something comforting and pleasant.